Broken Glass

Just came from an artists' meeting. About 20 writers, photographers, artists, dancers, and filmmakers met at a local restaurant to talk about creating a central group and finding our own space. It's exciting to be in this group. It's exciting not to be wandering in the field by myself. Maybe I'll actually start writing. Maybe my beginning photography career might become more than just an "if." Maybe I'll find out what I want to be when I grow up.

I told my friend Susan that I feel fractured, that I feel like broken glass. I just can't seem to get the umph to do more than jump start. I know part of it is the noise here in the hood. I'm very noise sensitive. The thundering of rap and the thumping bass that so many people in this neighborhood force on everyone else is like fingernails down a blackboard to me. I'm sure that I'm bleeding from this constant barrage of hell noise.

My sister and I are planning on moving in together next year. The plan is Washington state, but she also suggested the Knoxville, Tennessee, area. There are some mighty fine homes there for a whole lot less than anything you could find here in the Tampa Bay area, and, no doubt, the Seattle area. Saw a wonderful 3-bedroom, 2 bath house on 5 acres with a mountain view for about $280,000. Ain't gonna find anything like that here. On my own that's impossible, but with my sister, who makes good money, it's definitely doable. So maybe I can find silence and peace there. I know when I visited Lopez Island in Washington state, the silence there was incredible. For the first time in a bazillion years I felt creative. I'm definitely a silence girl.

So, what's a poor girl to do? Dream the impossible dream, which all the self-help books and the spirituality articles I read say is possible. I hope so...or is that the problem?

Comments

Matthew Bamberg said…
That event sounds cool!
I live in Palm Springs and wish we could get that sort of thing together. One way to get started on an art project is to use what you've found in your life (through a self-help book) and use it as the basis for your art. That's what many painters throughout history have done. Maybe start with your resentment of the noise around you?

Popular Posts