A Whole New Month

OK, finally we're heading towards autumn. Of course, in west central Florida, the crisp cool weather actually doesn't start until December, but, hey, a girl can dream.

Today a potential buyer comes to examine my house. Only the second one in two months, which I guess is good these days. There are sooooo many houses on the market or in foreclosure to choose from. What's a buyer to do? I imagine whoever is coming this evening wants a bargain. We'll see. This house needs a lot of work.

There's a big fire out in California just east of L.A. where my brother lives. He's okay, but there are many people who aren't. I often wonder what happens to the wildlife when there's a fire in the mountains and wilderness areas. They're losing their homes too. If they survive the fire, can they just move into other animals' territories without a fight? Or are they destined to die in territorial battles?

Governor Crist signed a new gambling pact with the Seminole tribe that will add approximately $6.8 billion to Florida's coffers over the next 20 years. I wonder where that money will go. Hopefully to education, environmental cleanups and upgrades, and infrastructure improvements. Maybe now the Legislature can vamoose the idea of granting developers incentives to build yet more subdivisions, condos and malls. Haven't they figured out yet that more people are moving out of Florida than moving in and that there are thousands of empty houses and unfinished community housing projects? Makes no sense to me, but then I'm just an ordinary person, not a high-level politician.

And don't get me started on State Farm Florida and its plan to dump all of its homeowner's policies because the company says it's losing millions of dollars every month. Just drop all the million-dollar bonuses and then maybe you can start operating in the black, SFF.

I'm off the soap box now. Time to get going on my real life of novel writing.

Comments

Popular Posts