Back from life

I promise myself that I will write in this blog once a week. And I then I forget. Life has a way of getting in the way of things that I would like to do. I don't know why. One day it's March, the next day it's June, and I don't know what happened to the in-between. No doubt just normal stuff: 1-1/2 hour daily commutes, grocery shopping, doing laundry, cleaning the house, taking care of my cats (which includes forever cleaning litter boxes and sweeping up litter from the entire house), etc. Sooooo exciting. But I suppose everyone has the same kind of everydayness that just comes with being alive and human. I have a dream, though; I want to hike the Georgia  part of the Appalachian Trail next year. It's about 76 miles, which I feel I can do comfortably in a week (including driving up and back from Georgia). It was an amorphous dream until I started telling people about it, and now it has become real. My friend's 23-year-old daughter wants to come with me, and I am hoping that my brother in California will be interested as well. (I have not talked to him about it yet.) For quite awhile, I have felt there is more to life than just surviving. I don't have a bad life, but something is missing. There are always wondrous moments in my everyday life that I will always remember, that make me feel alive, but I guess I need more now in my older years. I tend to move a lot -- from job to job, home to home, man to man. I still haven't quite figured out who I am, after all these centuries of living, but you never know -- I just might find myself in the mountains of Georgia. Or maybe on the coast of Maine, or in the ice-cold wilderness of Antarctica, or on the overland trek to K2 in the Himalayas, or maybe even in the urban jungle of Hong Kong.
 
Stolen from somewhere on the Internet

Comments

Popular Posts