Dichotomy

How did I get here where I am right now? There is a part of me, yelling, screaming, the part that's a renegade, an outlaw. Someone far beyond who I see in the mirror right now. Yet I walk the normal . . . and I pay the price. I don't know how to break the cycle of my everyday persona, the one I took as mine when I found out that I had to work, had to make a living if I wanted a roof over my head and food in my belly. I so admire the people who follow the stirrings of their heart and never look back. I was (and still am) too afraid -- of what? Hell if I know. How did I get to be this old and still not know who I am? There are times when I just want to get in my car and drive away, far away, but the trouble with that is I'm still bringing the lost me with me. Can the lost find a way to not-lost? I used to have vivid dreams (many of which I still remember) that I believe told me to get off the road I'm trudging on and take the proverbial less traveled path. But I didn't listen and the dreams went away and now I'm up against a wall, my bleeding fingers clawing at its solidness.

I wish I had words of wisdom for me and anyone else feeling like they're a mountain climber in a nun's habit. But I don't. What will happen is I will wake up in the morning and go on with my ordinary life, the same clothes, the same commute, the same lunch, the same work and home tasks, but I will, like I do every day, look for beauty and spirit in the flight of a bird, the roar of an airplane taking off, a woman running with her dog, the gentle waves in the Hillsborough River, the high laugh of young child, imaginative cloud formations in a blue sky, the purr of a peaceful cat, the memory of 16-year-old me roaming the streets of Vancouver on a bright, summer day, my long dark brown hair flowing down my thin back, so happy that school is out and there's nothing to do but be young and free.


Comments

Popular Posts