A Letter to the Man Who Would Be King (aka Gov. Ron DeSantis)

Gov. DeSantis:

You are scaring the hell out of me. I've read that some people who have worked with you characterize you as cold-blooded and iron-hearted, and you are certainly living a life with blinders on, bulldozing over people who dare to think differently from you.

What is this anti-woke campaign you are glued to? What are you afraid of? That your children might find out that white people bought and sold and enslaved, raped, whipped, hung, and denied human rights to black people? That white people came to this country and wiped out the ways of life, the cultures, and the languages of Native Americans, that we stole and savaged the land they had lived on for centuries? That LGBTQ individuals are just like straight people in their hopes, dreams, and life aspirations? That liberals are not the destroyers of the universe that conservatives make them out to be?

You only see one road and that's your road, and anyone who isn't white, straight, Christian, and ultra-conservative is not allowed on it. I want to know who made you King of Florida. I want to know who decided that you are the only one who is right and everyone who doesn't believe what you have decreed is the one and only path is wrong. How can you be so staunch in your beliefs that you must recreate a Florida in your own image?

I don't care if you're trying to gather your true-red troops to support you in a presidential run; as far as I'm concerned you are walking a fine line of fascism, and that is freaking me out. If I wanted to live in a fascist state, I would move to Russia and hang out with Trump's good friend Putin.

But I know you don't care what I think because I am, after all, one of the "little guys," one of the "run-of-the-mill Floridians" who needs a leader to tell them what to do, what to think because, well, I guess you think we're just not that intelligent or knowledgeable. I guess you think you can tell us not to read Toni Morrison's "The Bluest Eye" because it might warp our little white souls and minds. Well, too late. I already read it years ago and I'm going to read it again to find out what exactly conservatives are beating their chests about.

Well, I'm tired. Tired of you and your lambasting rhetoric. Tired of living in a state that's beginning to sink under its own weight of new residents and high costs of just about everything. But big guys like you don't care about little guys like me . . . unless, of course, I follow your every word with gusto and proclaim you King of Florida.

Sincerely ~ Rohana

Me before the world found me



Comments

Popular Posts