Rainy Day Wednesday

This is Pacific Northwest weather - cloudy, grey, rainy - and it's here in the Sunshine State. Did I give my Canadianness away by spelling gray "grey"? Ha! Do you ever wonder how you got to be where you are? This wasn't in the plan. Of course, for me there was no plan. Just kinda strolled down this path, maybe that path, running from this, running to that, and along the way, I gathered a houseful of furniture, lots of books and clothes, 16 cats, 2 dogs, and a few wrinkles. And sometimes I wonder what would have happened if....but everyone knows that's a waste of time because what was is gone and there's only now to be lived. I feel out of place in this world - it's too loud, too fast, too technological, too unsafe, too "me." If you believe in reincarnation, then I have to wonder why I picked this time in which to live again.

All afternoon I've been listening to an unseen bird just a-singin' in the rain. It's been singing on and off for hours. And I have to wonder why it's so happy. Does the rain bring song to its voice? Is it singing a mating song? Whatever the reason, it's been pleasant listening to its cheerful chirp as I type and answer phones.

Today, I did a very bad thing. I fed the squirrels. I'm under orders not to feed the squirrels and birds here at the office complex because the food brings rats. But I couldn't not feed them today, in the rain, in the gloom. Two squirrels came to my window and peered in, looking for me, the person who used to feed them on an almost daily basis since they were youngsters. So I went outside and fed them bread because that's all I had. Now, if the complex commandant finds out, I will go to bad girl jail. And it's all because of the rain.

Comments

Popular Posts