Reminiscing

The other day I went on the Internet and typed in the name of my best friend from high school so long ago. Just for fun. Just to see if her name would come up. It did. She's never married, just like me. From what I understand, she became a well-known dancer in Canada, with her own traveling troupe that performed around the world. She now teaches stretching and deep breathing exercises at a community center in Vancouver on Wednesday mornings. I wonder what she does for the rest of the work week. Is she some kind of executive in the corporate world? Is she a small business owner? Is she living with a rich man and teaches once a week for fun? I'm thinking I might contact her. Haven't spoken to or had any contact with her in decades. What would we say? Does she think of me sometimes and wonder what I'm doing like I do with her? We were two peas in a pod during high school. Outcasts together, we forged our own way through those long halls and in the world at large. Two thin teens, one with long dark brown hair, one with long blond hair, both of us without curfews and no boyfriends - just a blazing curiousity about life, especially about what was happening in the big city of Vancouver (we lived in the mountains of West Vancouver). Us with our short skirts, tie-dyed shirts, sandals and bare legs, hoop earrings, and braids, wandering the streets of Vancouver, hanging out with the older hippies lazing about on English Bay, going to rock concerts at every chance we could get (hey, Janice, do you remember Frank Zappa directing vehicular traffic on the street before his concert? Do you remember the Jefferson Airplane - before they became famous - in that dingy little hall with the psychedelic projection behind them? Do you remember how we followed Mother Tucker's Yellow Duck wherever they went? Do you remember the Doors walking towards us on the boardwalk and us just about having a heart attack?) I remember. I remember it all. The 1960's was the best time to be a teenager, the best time to be young and free. I miss the '60s. I miss who I was in the '60s. If ever I get Alzheimers (my grandmother had it), I hope that as my memory fades, it leaves me with my 16-year-old heart laughing and tugging at adventure in a world now gone.

Comments

Popular Posts