Train Beckons

This morning, as I waited for my fellow classmate to pick me up for a Saturday morning class, I stood at my open front door, anxious because my classmate was late and tired because the vehicle was revved up, so to speak, but the foot was still on the brake. Then I heard it -- the sweet bellow of a train traveling away from where I stood. The promise of somewhere else, the excitement of new places, new adventures, clacking down a track going who knows where. Wait for me. Let me jump on your back. Take me far from my new world of cancer. Let me feel the wind in my hair (while I still have it). Let my eyes take in all the passing towns, the farms, the cows, the open lands, the woods, the roads, the cars waiting impatiently at the crossroads. Wherever you go I go. I will be the vagabond, the free spirit, the home-free girl in Levis and t-shirt.

And then my classmate pulled up in her hybrid car and it was off to class. Goodbye, morning train. Another day, another time. I am always listening, waiting for you.

Comments

Popular Posts