There was a hurricane

Horrorcane Ian has left Florida, some parts of it in utter ruin. It looked like Ian was coming straight at the Tampa Bay area, but like other hurricanes before it, it deviated suddenly and this time it slammed into the Fort Myers area. Most, if not all, the residents of Fort Myers and the surrounding areas weren't prepared because it appeared that Hurricane Ian was going to take out the Tampa Bay area. One of the awful things about a hurricane is that you're relieved when it doesn't destroy your life while knowing that it devastated other lives far, or not so far, from your home.

A year or two before the pandemic, I was considering moving to North Fort Myers where there is an eagle nest live streaming during the annual mating and baby season. I had been following that nest online for years so I thought: Why don't I move down there, visit the nest as often as I want, get a change of scenery, etc. After looking for homes in North Fort Myers through Realtor.com and other realty sites, it was obvious that I was most likely going to wind up in a manufactured home. I think of that now after seeing photos of the Ian devastation. I would probably be homeless, maybe injured or dead because I wouldn't have evacuated due to the fact that Hurricane Ian was supposed to "visit" St. Petersburg and Tampa. 

Can you find Florida in this photo? Hurricanes are so monstrous, so mean, so beautiful, so ugly, and so symmetrical, all at the same time. Look at this. It almost appears to envelop the entire planet. Somewhere underneath all those swirling clouds is my home state. If hurricanes could literally eat what they hover over, there would be no more Florida.

NASA Earth Observatory




Comments

Popular Posts