A Sideswiped Life

I've been trying to think of a name for my journey with cancer. I used to say "in my real life," meaning my life before cancer. But I've decided to call my cancer challenge my "sideswiped life" because that's exactly how I felt when that clinic nurse said to me, "You have cancer." Just three words that changed all my immediate plans. Three words that have kicked me, scared me, wearied me for the past five months. Almost half a year. It's gone by fast and for that I'm happy. I still have 6 more weeks of chemo (4 treatments) beginning January 4th. Can't wait until it's done, finished, complete.

I've signed up to continue with grad school at USF beginning January 10th. I'm hoping I have enough energy, enough chemo-fogged brain cells, enough good health to tackle all the reading and assignments. My life has been sideswiped long enough. Of course, it will all depend on what happens January 4th when I begin the new chemo regimen. What these drugs will do to me worries me; I'm worn out by chemo and its side effects, and I really want to move on with my life. I'm looking forward, though, to recovery of my health, my dreams, my goals in 2011.

Comments

Popular Posts