Rock us like a hurricane

I hate hurricanes. That's kinda obvious. I mean, who likes hurricanes? Who would want a hurricane to come knocking on their door? Who likes to watch a monster in the Atlantic or the Gulf of Mexico moving slowly, so slowly, taking its sweet time, meandering here, meandering there, for days and days and days, perhaps coming your way, perhaps not, and you won't know until almost the last minute where the monster will land?

A colleague of mine told me that the uncle or father of someone she knows said that what Florida needs is a big hurricane because it would help the economy by providing work for contractors and the attendant trades in rebuilding homes and businesses. Well, he got his wish. I hope he's happy. But what he didn't take into consideration is that people's lives are turned upside down, most especially those who lost everything they own, everything they've built. I can't even image what the Keys looks like now. Apparently, there is not a home or business that was not impacted by Hurricane Irma. There are people going home to nothing. There are children going home to no home. How can anyone wish this on anyone? These people will be displaced for months. 

I am lucky. My little house with its bad roof survived the storm. My cats are happy now and back to their normal selves (they were nervous before and during the hurricane, most probably because I had outside plants inside the house, I had things packed in case we had to flee, and they couldn't go outside and sit in the sun because all there was rain and ferocious winds). Tomorrow I go back to work, and I imagine Mr. Hurricane Man will be rolling up his sleeves to begin his mighty effort to help the economy. I hope he gets the chance one day to tell his hurricane theory to someone who has just lost everything they possessed, including the roof over their head.


Comments

Popular Posts