untitled poem

I met Tampa's poet laureate James Tokley Sr. on Saturday night at the Lights On Tampa event. To my shame, I didn't even know that Tampa had a poet laureate. Tampa just doesn't seem like an arts-oriented city to me. It's more like a mow-it-down-and-put-up-another-condo-building-or-McMansion-community kinda city. So, I was quite honored to have met Mr. Tokley. Now, I'm not a poet on his level; some people may think I'm not a poet at all. But the girl just keeps on writing anyway....

10/23/04

here on a quiet sunny afternoon on a florida autumn day i listen for
whispers of the northwest,
shadows of my spirit, memories of my childhood
in the sun i am lost, in the forest i am found, by the waters i am saved,
amid rocks i am home
the past is known, the present felt, the future a dream, a wish, a hope
time flies by on the tail of the winds
this face is no longer young and for that a certain sadness
here in the florida sun i await my destiny as i search for the path not taken
through books, through friends, through God
i am only one but there is no other like me
my catlike spirit stretches to reach the beyond
there must be something better on the other side of the fence
there i can be free, free as anything bound to earth....
sometimes you can leave
but what is left behind
is what should be.....

Comments

Hey Girl,

I like the poem. It gave me shivers.

Write more poetry. Write more short stories. You can do it.

Sent you an email about an agent I think you'll click with.

Hugs,

Carolyn
http://carolynchambersclark.blogspot.com

Popular Posts