Christmas Shmistmas

Christmas is 13 days away. I haven't even thought about shopping. Even though I was in the "Christmas mood" around Thanksgiving, now that the big day is almost here, I can't seem to get with it. Maybe a little snow, instead of 80 degrees, might help. Maybe a whole lot of money might do the trick. Maybe more holiday decorations on the homes in the neighborhood might inject some Christmas spirit into me. But perhaps my neighbors are feeling the drag too. Is it the weather, the economy, global warming, or just the blahs that seem to be lessening the celebration of the big holiday?

I, for one, am very tired of the commercialization of Christmas (that's an old cliche if I ever heard one). Perhaps all this brouhaha over the lead in children's and animals' toys is a way to lessen the attachment we have to buying tons of gifts for families, friends, co-workers, acquaintances, and others like the mailman and the newspaper delivery person. Do we really need more stuff? Aren't our homes and closets and garages filled with stuff? I, for one, don't want any more stuff. Just a happy celebration with loved ones is good enough for me. My friend Miriam and I are going to spend this Saturday watching Christmas movies while eating Chinese food and talking and laughing. What better gift is there than something like that - spending time with someone who likes you and with whom you always have a good time?

Perhaps I'm showing my age, but, really, who needs another new cell phone with new gadgets or a new-fangled (soon to be outdated) plasma TV or another Old Navy t-shirt? All the new technical things, the new designer clothes and shoes, the expensive jewelry, etc. etc. etc. will never buy happiness the way truly connecting with another human being can. Isn't that what the Christmas spirit is supposed to be about? It's not like that has never been said before. But I think it's worth saying again...for what it's worth in this loud and me-focused world.

Comments

Popular Posts