My View of Sarah Palin

To my surprise, the Vice Presidential debate was quite interesting (unlike the Presidential debate which, honestly, sent me to sleepyland). I thought Sarah Palin came across as articulate, friendly, somewhat knowledgeable, and confident. Since the announcement of her VP candidacy, I hadn't really followed her journey into national politics, but I had heard about some of her stumbles with the media, most notably, the interviews with Katie Couric. (I have to say that Tina Fey's Saturday Night Live rendition of Sarah Palin being questioned by Ms. Couric was dead-on and hilarious).

Although Governor Palin did better than expected in the debate, I, for one, don't understand why Senator McCain picked her as his running mate. She's just too damn folksy for me, and all this jibber jabber about understanding the lives of soccer moms and resonating with the heartland of America doesn't cut it with me. Gov. Palin must be talking to a breed of women about which I have no experience. I know she's not talking to me. In fact, she reminds me of Frances McDormand's character, Police Chief Marge Gunderson, in the movie Fargo. And that's where I believe Gov. Palin would be better suited to rule the roost, so to speak - in Fargo, North Dakota or Wasilla, Alaska.

I can feel a panic attack coming on should the McCain/Palin ticket win and Sarah Palin become President due to the death or incapacitation of John McCain. Since Alaska is still in one piece, I'm sure Gov. Palin is not totally incompetent, but she's not Presidential, not even Vice-Presidential material. I can't see any foreign head of state taking her seriously, unless she drops the folksy act (hopefully it's an act) and becomes a grown-up.

I don't want Opie at the helm of my country. I'm sure that small-town-girl, small-town-mayor, frontier-state-governor Sarah Palin possesses many fine qualities, but I think she was chosen to offset all the attention the Democratic party received during the history-making Obama/Clinton campaigns for the Democratic Party Presidential nomination. If that was the only reason Gov. Palin was chosen, then, yes, the Republican Party scored big on that one. However, this isn't grammar school. This is a United States of America Presidential election being decided in an extremely volatile economic environment. Whoever wins will govern a superpower country, which entails the tremendous responsibility for determining what happens internally as well as around the world.

Governor Palin, in my opinion, is the wrong person for the job of Vice President of the United States.

Comments

Popular Posts