See Ya, Wouldn't Wanna Work For Ya

I don't get it, but I probably should because this is the 21st century and there are sooooo many human beings who only care about what they want.

I'm talkin' about employers who put employment ads in the local newspapers, Monster.com, trade journals, on their own company websites, etc., expecting (and receiving) a trunk full of resumes from hopeful people wanting a new job. OK. I understand that most of the resumes will not have what the employer is looking for. I get that part. A few resumes will stand out and the employer will invite you, the owners of these resumes, to come in for an interview.

Yay, you say, I made it this far! I have an interview. So you research the company online, you practice answering the hard interview questions, you gather samples of your work, you choose an outfit, you wait nervously for your appointed hour. Then, it's time. You leave early and drive (sometimes to another city) to the company's location, which perhaps you had to Mapquest because you have no idea where it is. Then, it's interview time. You do your best to answer all of the interviewer's questions while being calm, perky, intelligent, articulate, knowledgeable, energetic, professional.

When you get home, you write and send your thank you note, as instructed by all the experts on the how-to-get-a-good-job websites.

And then that's it. You never hear from the employer again, even though you send a follow-up email or make a follow-up call (answered by the "gatekeeper.") Why is that? Why can't employers who asked for resumes, who requested interviews, who spent the time interviewing the best candidates chosen by them, send an email (at the very least) letting the interviewee know what's going on? Is that so damn difficult? Are these employers expecting the interviewees to be super aggressive (something American employers seem to love) and come back pounding on the door, demanding the job?

After one interview, I don't even know if the job or the company or the boss is worth that kind of effort. How can you know something like that in the 30-60 minutes you have in an interview setting? That's like getting married after you've only had one blind-date dinner with someone.

What I really hate is the silent treatment after the interview. What happened to common courtesy? Oh yeah, I forgot. That kind of thing died in the 1980s. Y'know, all it takes is one simple little email saying, "Sorry you didn't get the job. Have a nice life."

Personally, I wouldn't want to work for someone who can't even bother to tell his secretary to send that simple email. If you brought me in for an interview and then you leave me hanging without another word, you're an inconsiderate person without a decent set of values -- and I don't want to give someone like you the best days of my working life.

Comments

Popular Posts