Love in the Hood

It rained again today so I waited until about 6:30pm to pick up my mail. I found a small soggy index card crammed into my picket fence gate. There was a handwritten note on it, which said:

Now, my question is: Are you feeling the love? Because I'm not feeling the love. And my guess is this note was written by my neighbor across the street who complained about my cats pooping in her yard, the very same cats who are now imprisoned on my front porch and have been so for the last couple of weeks. The church mentioned in the note is the church she attends and, believe me, there is no love in that church. Once long ago she invited me and I was appalled by the ignorance parading as godly wisdom shouted out from the pulpit by a preacher who has no business being a preacher, if you ask me. Women do not deserve to be raped, no matter how they are dressed, and white people are not the sole embodiment of evil incarnate that leads young people "astray," whatever that means. So, following on the heels that kind of thinking, I guess I am evil and to be hated because my cats pooped in someone else's damn yard. Now I'm just thinking out loud here, but don't you think there are more important and more substantial things to focus on than to surreptitiously vilify a neighbor over a feline feces fracas that was resolved weeks ago?

Comments

Popular Posts