Sleepy Night

It's mostly quiet right now, except for the buzz of crickets, the whir of a floor fan, the intermittent growl of a helicopter prowling the skies in another neighborhood to the east. Not mine tonight. For that I'm thankful.

It's been a long, hot day full of minutiae, some of it grad school stuff, some of it real life stuff like paying credit card bills. I'm beyond tired. Skipped my Tai Chi class earlier and crashed on the bed, until the mean grumbling of thunder woke me up from my two-minute nap. Rushed outside, stumbling into walls, in a valiant effort to save my drying undies from the promised onslaught of rain...which never came. Not in my neck of the woods, anyway. For that, my plants are not thankful.

Tomorrow I get my aging eyes checked because I need new reading glasses. My grad school professors have scheduled tons of reading for us summer students and my eyes hurt because I'm using the kind of magnifying glasses you can buy at Walgreens. How lovely. I must think I'm still young and can get away with things like that. I was young once but I guess that doesn't count.

The helicopter is back and flying over my house. What has someone done tonight to bring out the police helicopters? It's dark and still and my bed is calling me. Okay, it's not really talking to me because if it was, I'd be long gone by now, flying out of my haunted home, which, by the way, is still housing the Biggest Spider in the Universe. Sometimes I hear something skittering in my bedroom when I switch on the light. But I'm not afraid. No sir. Ain't afraid of the Biggest Spider in the Universe. Not one bit. Not one tiny bit. No sir.................................


Comments

Popular Posts