If I Only Had a Brain

This is my third week of grad school - summer grad school, short, sweet and speedy. My brain hurts from all the reading, especially since there's still some mind-numbing chemo traces rummaging around in my brain tissue. And it's hot. Yes, it's hot, outside and inside. Nothing like reading scholarly textbooks in a house that's almost as torrid inside as it is outside. Thank God for my roof; otherwise I'd be a french-fried Library Science grad student.

I appear to be the oldest student in the one class I have that isn't totally online. We met in May at USF and tomorrow we'll all meet again to train in the reference interview, among other things I suppose. There's only one male student; the rest are all females ranging from those in their 20s to those in their middle-age years. My only hope, once I finish grad school, is that there will be a job for me in a library somewhere. Most of my competition, so to speak, is a lot younger than me. Some are already working in libraries so I guess they're all set for jobs, but the rest of us - well, it could be a free-for-all, unless some of us move to places where there are no universities offering Library and Information Science master's degrees. That will most likely be me. Pack up the furry kids and off I go -- to a new life as an archival librarian...somewhere.

Comments

Popular Posts