New Day

It's just another unemployed day and I'm taking advantage of the quiet and the cool weather by walking my dogs, who love to walk and sniff and pee just like every other dog in the universe. Today, however, something special happened.

While waiting yet again for Kodiak to sniff another treasure on a bush, I noticed my neighbor's SUV drive by, heading home. Nothing special there, except that a few days earlier I had seen Ryan and his wife Deirdre walking on my street. Deirdre was 9 months pregnant and they were walking in hopes of charging up the birth process because the baby was taking his time in deciding to make his entrance into this world.

As I watched the SUV pull into the driveway and stop, I saw Deirdre get out. She was holding some items and I couldn't see if she was still pregnant. Then Ryan got out and opened the back door, reached in gently, and extracted an infant car seat with the new arrival. Grandma was waiting on the porch ready to greet her new grandson. Even though I was half a block away and they didn't see me standing by a tree, I felt privileged to be granted this special moment when a new baby is brought home for the first time and welcomed into his family. It's one of those times in life when you're at the right place at the right time.

Welcome to the world, little one.

Comments

Popular Posts